Saturday, April 12, 2014

A to Z Challenge: K is for Keres

Keres--Have you heard of them? If not, here's the scoop. The Keres are winged demons who, like the Fates, were daughters of Night. They are associated with the personifications of death and doom. And some claim that they may be involved with the destinies assigned to each person at their birth.

How cool is that?

A daughter of Night, assigning each person a destiny--I see a story in this. Do you?

Don't forget to follow my blog! I do a happy dance every time I get a new follower. Do NOT let me pass up my day without doing a happy dance. Also, my novella Raze in on Amazon for only $2.99. Check it out!

As today is K day, I'd also like to recommend a great series I've discovered by author Jennifer Anne Davis. Book One of the True Reign series is called The Key. (K for Key, get it?)I literally couldn't put this book down. My family hated me. Here's what it's about:

His father's kingdom is on the brink of upheaval and at the center of it all is an ordinary girl who could be the key to its undoing. When faced with the ultimate choice, will he choose the girl he's falling in love with or the kingdom he has sworn to protect?

An ordinary girl with an extraordinary past... All she wants is to be free. What she doesn't realize is that freedom comes with a price she can't afford to pay. She's forced to accept the proposal of a prince she despises, even though her heart belongs to someone else... his brother.

Seventeen-year-old Rema lives in a brutal kingdom where travel between regions is forbidden, people are starving, and looking at someone the wrong way can mean death. Nineteen-year-old Darmik is the king's son and Commander of the King's Army. He spends his days roving the island, doing his father's bidding and trying to maintain control over the people.

When a chance encounter throws Rema and Darmik together, they share an instantaneous connection, but any sort of relationship between them is strictly forbidden. Darmik's brother, the Crown Prince, notices Darmik's interest in Rema and, in a calculated, political move, blackmails her. Faced with an impossible choice, Rema is forced to sacrifice her heart in order to save her family.

As Rema is taken to the palace with the Crown Prince, Darmik confronts the growing rumor that a legitimate blood heir to the throne exists and is trying to overthrow Darmik's family. In Darmik's quest to hunt down and kill the threat, he discovers that nothing is as it seems. Locked in the king's castle, Rema finds herself a key player in a massive power struggle. When Darmik shows up, she's not sure if she can trust him. The line between friends, enemies, and loyalty becomes blurred. As truths are unlocked, Rema understands that she just might be the key to finding the rightful heir and restoring peace to the kingdom... if she can manage to stay alive long enough.

My thoughts: I've heard some reviewers explain that they found parts of the book cliche. In the book world, the word cliche has come to be a nail in the coffin, a hex for anyone who shall read the book. But there is one quality that trumps cliche, and that is intrigue. Write a good book, make it interesting and with likable characters, and cliche ceases to hold any power. At the beginning of the book, I thought that it did seem somewhat like other books I've read before, but by the end those thoughts didn't matter. I loved the characters. I wanted them to succeed. My heart hurt when they didn't, and I could NOT wait to read the next book, Red. I did. And it's just as good as the first. I give both books 5 stars, and I'm anxiously awaiting Book 3, War.

The Key is available on Amazon or B&N. It's FREE for a limited time, so don't miss out!http://www.amazon.com/True-Reign-Jennifer-Anne-Davis-ebook/dp/B00GOHVFPW/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1397316376&sr=1-1&keywords=the+key+jennifer+anne+davis

1 comment: